Are you crazy about health and healthy food? Then go nuts with ‘cashew nuts’. The kidney-shaped seeds that hang to the bottom of the cashew apple are cashew nuts. It is delicate in flavour. It is firm but has slightly spongy texture.
Cashew nuts actually belong to coastal areas of Brazil. Portuguese explorers introduced them to India in the 16th century. Cashew nuts are sold de-shelled. The interior of their shells has caustic resin which is known as cashew balm. This resin is removed before consuming. Organic Cashew nuts have high nutritive value and are used in various Indian recipes. The de-shelled cashew nuts can be chewed directly or tasty gravies can be made out of them.
How healthy are cashew nuts?
They have lower fat content as compared to most other nuts. From the total fat content, approximately 82% of the fat is present as unsaturated fatty acids. About 66% of this unsaturated fatty acid content is actually heart-healthy monounsaturated fats.
Cashew nuts are an excellent source of copper. Also, they are a good source of magnesium, phosphorus, manganese and zinc. The list of benefits is endless, but here’s what you must know.
- Healthy Heart: Cashew contains low-fat content in the oleic acid form. They are cholesterol free and helps maintain a healthy heart. The antioxidants present in cashew nuts keep the heart diseases at bay.
- Digestion: It helps in overall growth and development, nucleic acid synthesis as well as indigestion.
- Healthy Bones, Gums, and Teeth: Magnesium content present in cashew nuts is beneficial for bones. Also, they are helpful in maintaining healthy teeth and strong gums.
Give a try to these cashew recipes
Kaju Katli Recipe:
It is one of the most favourite Indian sweets.
- Make a fine powder of cashew nuts.
- In a non-stick pan, heat sugar on a low flame. Add 4-5 tablespoons of water. Once the sugar gets dissolved in water, add the cashew powder. Stir the mixture on low a flame.
- Heat and stir until the mixture thickens. This will take 5-6 minutes.
- Pour this mixture on a greased plate or buttered paper.
- Flatten the dough or roll using a rolling pin so as to reach 3-5 mm thickness.
- Let the flattened dough cool down and then using a sharp knife cut into diamond shapes.
Enjoy the delicious sweet straight away or store in an airtight container. Watch this video to see a step by step procedure
They are an excellent party snack or can be munched anytime.
|Raw cashew nuts||1 cup|
|Salt||As per taste|
|Red chili powder||¼ tsp|
|Ground cumin seeds||¼ tsp|
|Powdered sugar||A pinch|
- In a pan, roast the cashew nuts in oil. Keep the flame on low to medium heat and stir continuously.
- Roast until cashews are golden brown in colour.
- Transfer the roasted cashew nuts to a large bowl.
- Mix all the spices in the bowl and sprinkle over the warm cashews.
- Toss to coat the cashews evenly.
- Store the spicy cashews in an airtight container.
Prepare delicious recipes like gravies, etc using high-quality cashew nuts.
It is always recommended to buy organic cashews to avoid contamination by chemicals, artificial fertilizers, and sprays.